If you are not already on twitter, then think again – It is, after all, the third most popular social medium, after Facebook & YouTube. In fact, it is the number one marketing tool being used by most companies, so how can you be too-cool-for-twitter?
Twitter has formed itself in to the breeding ground of breaking news, as well as special promotions. Twitter is like the photocopying room at an office, you have to hang round that room at least once a day, to know what is going on in the office. The information your gain there is not available elsewhere in the office, right?
A quick 101 on Twitter:
– Use @ sign before the handle of the person to tweet directly. e.g. If you wanted to tweet directly to Rudkin Productions you will start with @Rudkintweets (our handle)
– Follow the influential people in the field of your interest. e.g. If I were a pilot, I will make sure I followed all the airlines.
– Have an opinion! If you wish to gain followers then interact with the people you follow and do not hesitate to reply to their tweet with your thoughts an/or feedback.
– Do not whine, complain or be negative all the time. Your followers (tweeps) wouldn’t appreciate it. Especially as a business you need to maintain a formal tone on all social mediums.
– Do not tweet anything, that you wouldn’t say in real life!
– Be funny, witty and engaging. Twitter will love you, and vice-versa!
Now, some simple ways to engage your audience on twitter:
- Tweet about your organization’s everyday activities, may be about the services and behind-the-scene snippets. If you have a company blog, tweet the link to promote your blog. Be sure to shorten your URL in the tweet.
- Tweet pictures of things that are going around you. Things like ‘where you are’, or a new coffee machine, and other interesting aspects of your organization.
- Once you’ve built up sufficient numbers of followers, use Twitter to perform quick polls about absolutely anything under the sun! Cheap, fast input from your readers/fan base!
In the world of social media, if you are not on twitter, then you are practically non-existent!
I hope you would find this quick Twitter 101 helpful. If you need someone to help you navigate your way through the Twitter, do not hesitate to contact us. Also click here to check out the other social media services we offer.
Until next time,
The RP Crew